- Dit evenement is voorbij.
Muslims and Media: “The emergence of divided journalism”
16 december 2021 @ 15:00 - 16:30Gratis
Today’s media is more widespread than ever before. Because of this, the line between truth and lies has become increasingly blurry. The way Islam and Muslims are portrayed gives way to controversial debates, comments and opinions. We want to dive into this further and have invited Sakina Loukili to inform us on these next topics:
– How Muslims are represented and portrayed in the media
– How Muslims use the media in response
– The image of Muslims in Dutch politics and the effect it has on the Muslim society in the Netherlands
– How Islam is portrayed in social media vs journalism
Sakina Loukili studied religious studies at the University of Amsterdam. In 2017 she graduated with a thesis on hashtag activism among Western Muslim youth. Since 2018 she has been a PhD candidate at the KNAW Humanities Cluster. Within NL-Lab her research interests lie mainly in themes such as religion, citizenship, integration, emancipation and national and cultural identity.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to meet new people and discuss your concerns on Muslim representation and get advice and guidance on engaging with the media.
Time: 15:00 – 16:30
Date: Thursday the 16th of December
Location: CREA 3.12